Smartphones or any other smart device can be set up to trigger an alert in case of an emergency The case of Laura Luelmo, the 26-year-old young woman from Zamora, allegedly murdered by Bernardo Montoya in Huelva, was the last brutal event that has overwhelmed society. And that, once again, evidences the fear to which it seems that women have to be subjected to gender-based violence in the world.
In this sense, technology becomes a great ally. And it is that the “smartphones” or any other intelligent device can be configured so that, in cases of emergency, they launch an alert. We tell you, one by one, what are the steps to follow.
Use SOS Emergency on the Apple Watch
The Apple Watch allows you to make a call with SOS: the device automatically calls the local emergency number. For this, it is necessary to have the iPhone nearby or to have the Apple Watch connected to a Wi-Fi network and make the call via the Internet. On models with mobile data, the device can make the call by pulling the data.
To make a call, follow these steps:
1. Press and hold the side button of the clock until the SOS Emergency slider appears.
2. Keep pressing the side button. Wait until the countdown starts and an alarm sounds. You can also drag the SOS Emergency slider.
3. When the countdown comes to an end, the watch will automatically call the emergency services.
When the call ends, the Apple Watch will send your emergency contacts a text message with your current location, unless you choose to cancel. If the Location is deactivated, it will be activated temporarily. If your location changes, your contacts will receive an update and you will receive a notification about 10 minutes later.
Another option is to contact certain people in your agenda, which is known as emergency contacts. When an emergency call ends, the Apple Watch notifies those people with a text message, unless you choose to cancel. The Apple Watch sends you your current location and, for a period of time after activating the SOS mode, it will also send you an update when your location changes.
You can add emergency contacts from the iPhone app «Health»:
1. Open the «Health» app and click on the Medical data tab.
2. Select Edit and go to Emergency Contacts.
3. Click the plus icon to add a contact.
4. Click on a contact and specify the relationship you have with that person.
5. Press OK to save the changes.
Use SOS Emergency on the iPhone
You need to have installed on your terminal iOS 11 or later. As with the Apple Watch, if you make a call with SOS, the iPhone automatically calls the local emergency number. You can also configure the option of your emergency contacts so that these are the ones who are notified by your terminal.
To call emergency services :
1. Press and hold the side button and one of the volume buttons until the SOS Emergency controller appears.
2. Drag the SOS Emergency controller to call the emergency services. If you keep pressing the side button and the volume button instead of dragging the slider, a countdown starts and an alert sounds. If you press these buttons until the end of the countdown, the iPhone automatically calls emergency services.
If you have an iPhone 7 or a previous model:
1. Quickly press the side button or the top button five times. The SOS Emergency controller will appear.
2. Drag the SOS Emergency controller to call the emergency services.
As with the Apple Watch, when the call ends, the iPhone will send your emergency contacts a text message with your current location, unless you cancel it. If the Location is deactivated, it will be activated temporarily. If your location changes, your contacts will receive an update and you will receive a notification about 10 minutes later.
In general, terminals with Android 7.0 or higher operating system offer an option to configure emergency contacts: Settings – Lock Screen – Security – Owner information. That’s where you can add your partner’s phone number, mother, father … that is, the contact you want to call at a certain time. Your number will always be displayed on the locked screen.
In addition, Android allows you to send the location in case of emergency. To do this, you have to dial 112 (Emergency telephones in Europe). If Android’s emergency location services are available in your country and in your mobile network, your phone will use them to automatically send your location.
The location services for emergencies are activated only when you call or send an SMS to an emergency number.
During emergency calls, these services activate your phone’s location and use Google’s location services. If necessary, location services for emergencies can activate mobile data. When the call has finished or the text message has been sent, the configuration will return to the previous state.
Miui is the customization layer for the Android operating system in Xiaomi terminals. These are, precisely, one of the most complicated to configure emergency calls. Follow the following route:
2. Lock screen and password
3. Advanced settings
4. Owner information in Lock screen
5. Add the message you want to appear on the terminal screen with the phone number: Emergencies XXXXX, Father XXXXX, Brother XXXXXX.
These terminals, regardless of the version of Android they have, also have their own default emergency call option that appears in a box when trying to unlock the phone.
To activate this function:
1. Press the power button for a few seconds
2. Select Emergency Mode
3. Accept the terms and conditions of use
4. Press activate
In this mode, the mobile screen is set with gray tones to reduce battery consumption and restricts the use of some functions. But you can make an emergency call or send information about the location.